Meat and Poultry Stock
You can use a carcus from a cooked chicken or turkey, the bones from a cooked roast meat, or you can buy soup bones or a chicken carcus from a butcher or the supermarket.
1. Place the meat in a large saucepan and add vegetables. Add water so that all vegetables are well covered.
2. Cook for a few hours, keeping an eye on the water level.
3. Strain the liquid off and allow to cool - before placing in the fridge. Skim off any fat that solidifies on the top.
If required, the stock can be cooled and frozen for future use.
4-6 parsnips, cut into chunks
1 large yellow onion, cut into chunks
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon sea salt
4 cups water
1 cup green peas
- Place parsnips, onion, nutmeg, salt and water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and simmer 20 minutes, or until the parsnips are soft.
- Using an immersion blender purée soup until very creamy. If necessary add more water to get desired consistency.
- Add green peas and mix with a spoon.
- Once peas are heated through, serve in individual bowls
- Use 2 cups rice and 2 cups water for a more silky texture.
- Replace some of the parsnips with carrots.